Finance Minister, Arun Jaitely presented his third General Budget on February 29, 2016 amid concerns over stagnating growth and stuttering pace of reforms. While the global economy is in crisis, the Finance Minister affirmed that Indian economy is right on track and remained the bright spot in this gloom.
Like other industries, the energy sector too is poised to get benefited post this budget. The major announcements for the energy sector include:
• Government preparing a comprehensive plan for nuclear power generation and allocation could be up to Rs. 3000 crore per year.
• Government drawing up a plan to be implemented in next 15-20 years to augment capacity in nuclear power sector.
• Government to provide incentive for deepwater gas exploration and incentivise gas production from deep sea, high temperature areas.
• Deepwater gas new disc to get calibrated market freedom, pre-determined ceiling price based on landed price of alternate fuels.
• Government considering to provide calibrated market freedom to new gas production from deep sea, ultra deep sea to boost stagnant domestic output.